Sunday, October 02, 2005

Gandhi and Cricket

Starting today, apart from my scribblings on the game, I will post a daily nugget from web which will act as a flashback to past. With so many matches played, much of our focus is on the immediate, here and now. I intend to throw in a url which would talk of past cricketers, incident and a look at beyond the boundary impact of this wonderful game.

Today is Gandhi Jayanti day. That begs the question was he ever interested in this game, did he have any sort of involvement with it? Ramachandra Guha provides us the answer in this article of his.

+++++ Gandhi and Cricket ++++

When Gandhi first went to England as a student, in 1889, one of the three letters of introduction he carried was to his fellow Kathiawari, Prince Ranjitsinhji.
..."I can understand matches between Colleges and Institutions," remarked Gandhi, "but I have never understood the reason for having Hindu, Parsi, Muslim and other communal Elevens. I should have thought that such unsportsmanlike divisions would be considered taboo in sporting language and sporting manners."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home