Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A song against Googly bowlers

Ranjit Shinde sent me, rather pasted on a desk at work, a song against googly bowlers. It was penned by EC Holt, after GK Chesterton and was published in The Cricketer, August 6, 1921.

God made the googly bowler
with ominous design,
That men might see the dreadful fate
Of those who drink no wine,
Of calculating scientists
Who stop at home and think,
While decent-minded citizens
Are ordering a drink.

The googly bowler googles
With leg-breaks from the off,
And other things that would disgust,
A self-respecting toff.
His wild appeals for leg-before
Create an awful din,
And when he gets the batsman out
He gives a horrid grin.

Let googly bowlers tremble,
For I will eat my hat
Unless I show these cricket-men
The proper way to bat.
Oh, I will bash their googly tricks,
And loudly will proclaim
That only those who drink the wine
Can hope to play the game!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home